Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Dying and Stamping Wooden Clothes Pins









I have been working on dying and stamping ordinary wooden clothes pins for a couple of weeks now (between camping trips and our out of state adventures).  Wooden clothes pins are porous and absorb dye very well.  They are also inexpensive and easy to work with.  I did not want them to all be identical so they are a mix of colors and shades.

First I dyed them in a bath of water and non toxic vivid liquid water color paint.  I let them bathe over night and then hung them outside to dry.  Working with them on a string makes it very easy to handle each without covering everything in spray or dye.

Next I randomly sprayed each with a combination of Dylusions Ink Spray (White Linen, After Midnight and Crushed Grape).  This allowed for each clothes pin to be slightly different from the others. 

My last application of spray was Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist in Dried Lavender.  In the pictures you can't really see the Glimmer Mist but in person they shimmer nicely.

The last step is to stamp each clothes pin randomly with your choice of rubber stamps and ink.  I am still working on these but I really like the results.  Simple, easy, unique and inexpensive. 


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails